Leichhardt’s first Memorial was originally located on the corner of Marion and Norton Street before it was relocated in 1949 to Pioneers Park (previously Balmain Cemetery)
The magnificent figure of peace was designed by Gilbert Dobel, it is a grey marble obelisk surmounted by 3 steps and the figure of a lady at the top.
The memorial commemorates the names of 379 men who fought in World War 1 with a total of 537 names for the Boar War, World War 1, World War 2. The memorial was dedicated on 9th April 1922.
The memorial commemorates World War 1 and World War 2 Inscription:
Erected by the citizens in grateful remembrance of the
MEN of LEICHHARDT
who gave their lives
for God, King and Country
in the Great War
1914 – 1919
“They died that we might be free”