Annandale North Public School
For King and Country
Annandale War Memorial – Hinsby Park
The war memorial at Annandale is in the form of a hybrid obelisk / cenotaph that incorporates curved seating. The memorial was the result of an architectural competition drafted and judged by the NSW Monuments Advisory Board in 1920. The architect R. Keith Harris won the first prize of 15 pounds with second prize of 10 pounds going to John D. Moore.
The memorial was unveiled in February 1921. The monument comprises a central obelisk / cenotaph rectangular in plan and flanked by seating curved forward in quadrant plan. The seats terminate in two pedestals upon which were mounted two electric lamps (now missing) in the form of eternal flames. The structure is built from Bowral Trachyte.
Names of the 87 local dead are inscribed on the front face of the central element with a bronze panel fixed to the front face below these names. On the rear face of the monument is carved in large letters ‘To The Immortal Dead’.
The memorial cost 1,250 pounds and was constructed by the builder F. Gagliardi. The memorial is unusual in including a ‘plot of remembrance’ near the memorial, this is a ersatz grave which allowed mourners to remember their dead at a more personal level. The memorial includes the name of Private Robert Watson of 169 Trafalgar St, Annandale who enlisted at Annandale on 12th February 1917 several days after his 15th birthday. He was born in Annandale in 1902 and attended Annandale Public School. He was killed in action one year later on 24th March, 1918 aged 16 years and two months.
References; Architecture 20 April 1920, p.106; Construction 30 March 1920, p.3; Art in Australia, 2 May 1922, p.69.
St Aidens Anglican Church Memorial Plaques
Former Annandale Council Chambers Roll of Honour